Sunday 6 January 2013

The squirrels went wild...


The squirrels must have thought it was spring all it took was a little bit of sun and they went wild!
Three of them ran round the garden up and down the tree over the walls, in and out the gardens, only stopping every so often to grab a nut from a box in passing. This carried on for at least an hour or more then it stopped just as if they had never been there.
I had not anything to show for it they all moved too fast for the camera so all I could do was watch, I was exhausted by the time it was over, it was a good job I had a flask in the shed with me I needed a coffee after all that.

Well after I had got my senses back together (what sense I have) I managed to set up the cameras I didn't expect to see any squirrels after that display so I settled myself down to watch for any birds that might appear.
It wasn't long before a flock of Sparrows arrived, one of the male Sparrows appeared to be acting as look out, he stayed in the bush high up on a twig watching all around, maybe for the Sparrow hawk or cats there has been sightings of both recently.
The next to arrive were the Blue Tits and Great Tits closely followed by a Robin then a few Starlings. It was good to see the garden so alive for a change. Then I heard a soft thud the sound of the nutbox closing, there was one of the squirrels back. I glanced over to the side I couldn't believe it all three squirrels, one on the fence and two in the tree, I guess all the running about had made them hungry and they knew there was sure to be food here. I took plenty of photos but as usual never managed to get any of them all together. I did get some of two of them but not good enough to be made public so I will keep trying one day I will manage to get a shot that I think I can show.
I have put a couple on flickr of the squirrels and a couple of bird shots, a Song Thrush made an appearance a beautiful bird, so the thrush is on flickr, but not my photo of the day.

My photo of the day is a picture that brought a smile to my face and also to Tonys,


The Head-banging Starling
If that is what peanut butter does for him he should leave it alone!


I have started reading a book on my iPad  called "The Witches Ladder" written by Dana E Donovan.

It is a little bit spooky, includes the paranormal, witches, paganism and other weird happenings. It is set in New England in America. It is not my usual kind of reading material but I just thought I would give it a go, strangely I seem to be enjoying! I will let you know how I go on with it...

After all the other squirrels had gone this afternoon and the garden had gone quiet there was one last visitor...


She is very timid, I think the other squirrels are too rough for her she likes to wait till everybody else has gone, then she comes to get something to eat when it's nice and quiet...









No comments:

Post a Comment