Tuesday 22 January 2013

Broken beaks and broken feet...


Our garden seems to have birds that have bits missing...
I know most gardens have their casualties but ours just seems to have a lot.
Today we had a Song Thrush that came to visit that has a broken beak or part of it's beak missing...

It doesn't affect the thrushes eating, it tucked into the sultanas and apple quite happily.

Then we have a male blackbird that has been visiting everyday for the last week or more...

He has part of his left foot missing, again it doesn't seem to slow him down at all. He visits the bird table everyday, he doesn't seem worried by me at all in fact he watches me while he eats and comes closer every time. I hope as he gets more use to me he will come closer and maybe take food from my hand like the robin did last year. I know he is a wild bird and maybe I should not encourage him.

There are other birds I have noticed with slight deformities and of course I will be looking out for them now.
We also have one of the scruffiest great tits I have seen for a long time


A photo of a blue tit I took today amused me as well,

I decided that he had been too ambitious with the apples


He looks like he had bitten off more than he could chew and got himself stuck.

However in the next photo it made me think he was probably shouting
FREEDOM!

as he flew away to tell the tale of his battle of the apples and his victory...

Squirrel popped by today just long enough for a game of hide and seek so he counted while I went to hide



Yes I know I need to get out more...



Now after all these photos I hear you ask what about the photo of the day? Well I really don't know what I have left...Oh yes I know

Todays photo of the day



Song Thrush proving you don't need a full beak to eat.
(Thanks to Tony for sharing his sultanas)

Until tomorrow...





No comments:

Post a Comment