Saturday 19 January 2013

How long is it going to last...


These sub-zero temperatures are just not fun. My body is on a definite go slow. I want to move but it wont let me. I have to do everything at a snails pace, that could be a good thing at times because my mind is on a go slow too. Tony asks me a question and it takes me a while to think of the answer now thats usual but now it is taking twice as long, I think I must have brain freeze!

I did drag myself down to the shed today, Tony and I saw a flock of fieldfare in the garden from the kitchen window. Then Tony witnessed one of the young squirrels chasing the blackbirds round the garden and out of the trees. So I decided that before I missed anything else I would go down and brave the weather and hopefully get some decent photos. (yeah right)
Well I got there as quick as I could which we all know by now is not that quick, but I did get there which is what counts. I put out some food, settled myself into the shed, got the flask handy and waited for something to happen. I was in luck! I had only been in the shed about 15 minutes when a beautiful song thrush appeared right in front of me. It didn't even seem to care when I started to photograph it. I knew it had seen me but it quite happily carried on eating the apple. The thrush must have been more interested in the apple than it was worried about me or what I was doing. I took plenty of shots thinking I must take at least one good one out of them.
The thrush was there for what seemed like hours when really it was only there for minutes, but I got my shots so I was happy.
The young male squirrel appeared not long after the thrush left. He edged up the fence looking to see if I was in the shed, glancing to see what was on the bird table. When he saw me he stopped, turned his head and pretended he hadn't seen me. He sat for a minute then crept back along the fence, shot down the wall, down the squirrel stick and over to the nutbox. He stood up and looked only to find I was ready for him the shutter clicked and I had his photo. This is the sort of game we play every time, yes I know it's a squirrel he doesn't know, ha thats what you think, you don't know him!

Well I stayed in the shed a couple of hours or more until I could no longer feel my finger tips or toes then I decided it was time to come back indoors and get warm. Half an hour later wrapped up in my pj's with a hot water bottle and a warm drink I looked at the photographs I had taken. I am pleased with most of them, I have put some on my flickr site of squirrel, the thrush and a blackbird. I wasn't sure about todays photo but I decided after thinking about it to use this one, it is not on flickr it is just for the readers of this blog.


Todays photo of the day


Song Thrush enjoying apple.

Hopefully this cold-spell will soon be over then I will be able to get out more and go further. 
Until tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment