Wednesday 29 May 2013

A Starling invasion


I love the garden after rain, it always seems so fresh, green, fragrant. I can actually smell it, which is unusual as my sense of smell is usually non-existant (which can be good at times).

I sit in the shed listening after the rain stops. I can hear the birds singing usually a dunnock, a robin and a blackbird, a birds choir in my back garden.
  I can hear the sparrows chattering in the lilac bush. The hum of the traffic on the nearby roads, a dog barking in the distance, all the sounds I associate with the shed.
 The warning sound of a blackbird rings out, closely followed by the low cackle of a magpie who is probably trying to raid a nest somewhere. 
A gang of starlings tumbled into the garden accompanied by their newly fledged offspring who are behaving like unruly adolescents demanding attention. The adult birds squawking and strutting round the garden like chav's all trying to out-do each other. The young birds get louder in their calls until the parents give in and feed them with what they want, the garden sounds like the local McDonald's on a saturday afternoon.




Todays photo of the day


Feed me, Momma, Feed me!

Only when the young starlings decided that their appetites had been appeased did the noise begin to decrease. The starlings then flew as one from the garden no doubt to repeat the whole action in another garden not too far away. At least peace had returned to our garden for a while anyway.

Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment