Tuesday 31 January 2012

Bad news from South Africa...

I bumped into my Aunty Alice, Lesley (my cousin), Lesley's husband and Vivian (another cousin) in town today. It is always nice to see them and we always have a chat.
 Today they had bad news. Uncle Tommy had died. He had a heart attack whilst driving his car and crashed. They did not know whether it was the heart attack or the crash that had caused his death.
Uncle Tommy had moved to South Africa years ago, the last time I saw him must have been about 28 years ago.
 I remember when I was only 4years old and my sister was maybe just turned 6 years we decided we wanted to visit Uncle Tommy. We got out our bikes, ( I had stabilisers on mine) and we rode from Kettlethorpe to Horbury which was a long way, no body stopped us, nobody questioned us and I have no idea how long it took us.
 The look on Uncle Tommy's face was one I will never forget. He rang my mum to ask if she was missing anything, my nana had been looking after us because my mum had been at work,( I guess my nana would have been in trouble.)
 Uncle Tommy sat me on his knee and sang "Oh you are a mucky kid" to me while my sister and I had a drink of pop and biscuits. After that he put our bikes in the boot of his car and took us home. I think my mum was too amazed at what we had done and the fact we had found the way to be cross.
I do seem to remember my bike disappeared for a while after that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment