Sunday 1 July 2012

Race for life 2012

We went to Temple Newsam as planned to watch Lynsey run the Race for Life , for the third year. She arrived along with four of her friends, Simon, Phil, Matt and Alex.
Alex wanted to run the race with her, even though it is just supposed to be woman and boys under 7 years of age. Alex is going to be 16 years old in a matter of days. He was adamant that he wanted to run with Lynsey, so they went and bought him a pink hat to try and hide him in the crowd so he could join in. ( it was a very nice pink hat with plaits attached and round the sides it said girls on tour ). They managed to get Alex into the race away they went as we filmed them and took photographs.

 Lynsey is wearing a pink baseball cap Alex is just slightly behind her with his pink hat on.
After we had seen them safely over the starting line we waited till everyone else had crossed then walked over to the next vantage point up near the house, this is where we usually go for the next good picture.
As we waited we snapped some other runners, 









I was beginning to get a bit worried Lynsey didn't usually take this long to get this far, out of the corner of my eye I spotted a paramedic vehicle on the move, "oh no " I said to Tony "I hope thats not for Lynsey" then I saw the vehicle move back and I relaxed a little. When it moved again then returned to the first aid tent with blue lights flashing my heart was in my boots, I took my mobile out of my pocket, looked at it and it rang. A voice said "is that susan ? we have your daughter in the first aid tent"  "I thought you might "I replied.
We walked over and there she was 



She had run 3k of the 10k before having a seizure and all she was worried about was that she had let people down. We told her not to worry people would understand, she had started and had done her best she could not help her seizure stopping her from finishing nobody that had sponsored her would expect her to repay them, it was something that was out of her control.
The medical team were great they could not do enough for her even going to the finishing line explaining the circumstances to the organisers and getting Lynsey a goodie bag and medal.
It did make me wonder if Alex somehow (even subconsciously) knew that something was going to happen

She is fine today I have spoken to her on the phone she is still a little bit worried and sends apologies to everyone.
 Lynsey before the race looking perfectly fine.





2 comments:

  1. How scary for her (and for you)! Am glad that she's feeling better today. And you're right, no one will expect her to repay them - it's for a brilliant cause & everyone will just be relieved and thankful that she's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad luck, but there's always next year.

    ReplyDelete