Saturday 7 July 2012

The rain came down...

The rain just never stopped falling yesterday, there were floods round about town that closed roads,cancelled local activities and just caused chaos in general. Living in an upstairs flat has some advantages, although we did keep looking out just to check. It goes to show that the thousands of pounds the Wakefield Council has spent on flood defence schemes has been well spent! (all the usual places flooded, what a waste that was).
This morning the sun is trying to push through the clouds, so we had a bus ride into town to do a little bit of shopping just in case we cannot get out again tomorrow! We called into the bank where we saw Aunty Alice and Vivienne. Vivienne told me it had been her 60th birthday the previous friday and they had been at Bridlington. Aunty Alice said yes I love lobster tails so I bought one £1.40 it cost everybody else had fish and chips, anyway I had just got this Lobster tail and this great big seagull swooped down and pinched it. All it left me with was the tray! Our Gary bought me another and the flipping thing tried to take that one as well.
Aunty Alice and Vivienne had not been out for 2 days because of the rain and floods, when the roads had been closed it had affected where they live. So they sat and watched a duck with her duckling swimming around where the children's train usually runs in the park as it is all under water, the ducks don't mind they have an extra pond or two!

The garden has been quiet today even the Starlings have been low in numbers. My friendly Robin comes and sits inside the shed now his favourite perch seems to be on the green filing cabinet in the corner, he can see through both windows from there and when he leaves I never know which one he will choose, so sometimes I lose some hair as he zips over my head.
I haven't seen Junior for a while so I don't know if he is still around, but I did notice a smaller Robin chick in the garden today so I think we have more babies appearing all the time.
Spot hasn't been seen the last few nights but I would imagine he is staying somewhere dry as long as he can.
The Squirrels are here everyday, the young ones twice even three times, we have been kept entertained with them on the cross bar. The young male can reach the coconut halves no trouble but the female reaches across with her front paws and her back ones slide down the post until she lets go and just swings until she drops. They also have discovered the ball feeder on the side of the shed, they can both reach that and happily hang on there eating the sunflower seeds. (not always a pretty site if it is the male).

By 3:15pm the heavens opened the rain started to fall again but not for long. Lets hope next week is going to be better weather wise,  this is supposed to be summer after all.

 Young Starling in his new waistcoat.

  Hiding in the sparrow bush.

  A very tatty looking Blackbird.

 The young Male Squirrel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment