Friday 29 June 2012

Greedy Starlings & Shy Squirrels

As my eye's improve Junior Robin has a problem with one of his. I went into the shed today and was unhappy to notice he has a very poorly looking eye. I have taken a picture so you can see what I mean,


I have noticed over the last few day's that Junior spends quite some time on the suet balls, it did cross my mind that maybe he was on there when Mrs Woodpecker arrived, could it be possible that she had a jab at him? Or has he just caught an infection? I suppose it is something I will never know there could be several reasons. I hope he gets better soon!

The garden is still full of young Starlings demanding food, I felt for one Starling in particular ,


The Starling had been trying to keep up with feeding, the young one behind her with it's beak wide open had given her a few nasty pecks, so she picked up the biggest raisin I had ever seen and pushed it so far down the throat of the young starling, I just thought yes that will teach it. The young starling gulped a few times coughed up the raisin then flew to the other side of the garden. I couldn't help it I had to laugh, It made me think of a parent with a stroppy teenager, who couldn't have their own way going off to sulk.

The Squirrel babies are still very shy one of them came to the garden but didn't stay instead he/she chose to sit up in the sycamore tree waiting for me to leave the shed before venturing into the garden properly to eat the food and play.


Tomorrow Tony and I will be going to watch Lynsey running the 10k race for life  (weather permitting) at Temple Newsam, it is the 3rd year she has entered and I am very proud of her for doing it.




No comments:

Post a Comment