Friday 1 August 2014

Today is Yorkshire Day.


Today is the first of August, which means it is

"YORKSHIRE DAY"

So in honour of that here is a poem to mark the day,



I Am Yorkshire 
I'm five million people, who always aim to please,
I'm a Yorkshire pudding, I'm Wensleydale cheese,
I'm a cup of Yorkshire Tea, I am John Smiths Ales,
I'm mysterious windswept moors, I'm delightful dales,
I'm a reet odd-un me, I even have a phrase book,
I'm fond of saying 'There's brass where there's muck',
I'm the famous ferret that acted impolitely,
I'm the one the ferret bit, the late Richard Whiteley,
I'm the Humber Bridge, I am Castle Howard,
I'm Whitby's Dracula and victims I've devoured,
I'm Emmerdale Farm, I am David Hockney,
I'm gladly not EastEnders – who would be a cockney?
I'm Sir Michael Parkinson, I'm Dame Judi Dench,
I'm Scarborough fish n chips eaten on a bench,
I'm the Spa Bridlington, art deco tour de force,
I'm the great St Leger, hail Doncaster Racecourse,
I'm The Yorkshire Regiment, sweating blood and tears,
I'm an NYMR steam train, chugging through its gears,
I'm a history maker: Amy Johnson aviator,
I'm Dick Turpin highwayman, I'm Guy Fawkes, the traitor,
I'm William Wilberforce, doer of great deeds,
I'm the Good Old Days at City Varieties, Leeds,
I'm Top Of The Pops, definitely, not maybe,
I'm The Human League and Don't You Want Me Baby,
I'm well known for offering a friendly open hand,
I'm the place where aliens would mostly like to land,
I'm lights, camera, action at the National Media Museum,
I'm so very many things, why don't you come and see 'em,
I am always up for fun – I'm naked if you want me,
Indeed, I'm the Calendar Girls and I am The Full Monty!
by Michael Wood





A quick garden update,
The squirrels have not been seen much, but I have noticed a few butterflies flitting around the garden. I managed to catch one,




HOLLY BLUE
(I think it is a female second generation.)



HOLLY BLUE



Oh and one more thing before I go, today is special for another reason,
Bassman99, my big brother was born today ?? years ago. Happy birthday, XXX

Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment