Tuesday 7 April 2020

Iam beginning to get bored!!!









The lockdown is starting to get really boring now, we have been out about 3 times in the last 2 weeks just to collect my tablets and to do a bit of shopping. Then yesterday I received a text from the government telling me that I was a vulnerable person because of my medical problems. This means I have not to leave the house for 12 weeks, I can open a window, but on no account must I leave the house. I am beginning to feel like a prisoner in my own home.
A couple of days ago I spent some time in the shed. The grey wagtail came, it has something wrong with its right foot. I don’t know if it has always been like that or if it has been caused by an accident?

 The Grey Wagtail visits most days but never stays very long.



One of the squirrels came down for a quick look but didn’t seem to like the company. Maybe he/she will return later before I go back upstairs to our flat, if not it will defiantly return after. 
A couple of goldfinches arrived together on the sunflower heart feeder, along with several starlings who came for a mealworm fest and to fight over the peanut butter.
All the feeders are full along with the 2 nut boxes, so they should be ok for a couple of days. The water bowls are full of freshwater. The favourite food at the moment seems to be, the suet log, sunflower hearts and monkey nuts. If the squirrels drop any the magpies are only too eager to pick them up and fly away with them.
The female blackbird showed a lot of interest in the mealworms, she was eating some and flying away with some, surely it is too early for chicks already? I haven’t been able to buy any live mealworms with the situation as it is, however, if you soak the dry ones in hot water for about 3-5 mins they soften up and it makes it so much easier for the birds to pick up. I used to watch the starling pecking at the dry ones, they would break up into tiny pieces too small for them to pick up. The softening made a lot of difference, they pick them up so much better.
Mrs Blackbird did not want to share with the sparrows this morning and chased them away from the mealworms every time they came near.
The sparrows enjoyed the freshwater and made the most of it by having a water playtime.
The sparrows jumped on each other splashing about like children at a water park.

Sparrows Water Playtime.












The squirrel did come back, just for a short while.







The robin came and snatched a mealworm, flew to the fence and fed it to his mate. Of cause, I missed the actual feeding but I did photograph the two robins together.


Quick mealworm snatch.



The Robins want to be together.


I hope you are all managing to keep safe & well during this bad situation.

Until the next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment