Monday 28 April 2014

Nothing much to report...


The garden has been fairly quiet during the day except for the usual visitors. The squirrels are still around,


 sitting on the fence,
Eating nuts on the crossbar,

 climbing on the bird house,


















 looking for nuts on the window ledge,





 watching from the tree,
















 Hiding donuts in the tree's ( the favourite snack of the moment)












Tony has been busy in the garden tidying up ready to lay some flagstones and pebbles. I asked him to prune the sparrowbush as it was getting very large and out of hand,


This is how the bush used to look,












This is how it looks now, if you look closely there is a stick standing in the centre of the picture. That is all that remains of the Sparrowbush!



I mustn't grumble tho' because Tony is putting up a small fence where the bush was at the side of the Greenhouse, so I can photograph anything I see up the side of the garden. I am enjoying my Greenhouse and believe it or not I have green things in there. I have some mint, basil, pepper, chilli, and some ivy plants in pots, I also managed to save some shoots from the sparrowbush which I have planted into pots in the hope they will begin to take root, then I can transfer them into the garden.



We have a male Blackbird in the garden that is trying to rule the roost. He tries his best to chase out every other bird that comes in. He even tries to chase out the squirrels but it doesn't work.
He follows the female Blackbird round the garden and when he decides she has been out long enough he chases her back into the bush where they have a nest. 



There has been a pair of Song Thrushes visiting the garden recently,  beautiful birds and so wonderful to hear.


The Greenfinches have been around quite often too,


The Blue Tit flies onto the suet feeder fill his beak and flies away, I think he is feeding his mate who may be staying in the nestbox. I have not seen her venture out for a few days,  have just seen her head looking out of the hole.




The Starlings love the peanut butter that I put in the little bush. They often seem to stand in a line waiting for their turn to feast on it. They pull it from the bush filling their beaks.



They are not the only birds that like the peanut butter, there are two Magpies that fly into the garden on an evening to see if there is any left for them to eat, sometimes they are lucky and they might find a small amount but more often than not the Starlings and Squirrels have made short work of it.


Until the next time...








 



No comments:

Post a Comment