Friday 4 April 2014

Just keep the nuts coming...

The first to sit on the greenhouse,
I knew it had to be either a starling or a blackbird, the blackbird did it. There he was calling to me in the shed making sure I saw him, all swagger and smugness. He called and danced around up there as if to say "look can you see me? look where I am then, I'm on your greenhouse."






The blackbird can be heard singing very often, as well as shouting out a warning if something is in the garden that he doesn't like, such as next doors cat or the sparrowhawk.
Singing can be heard from all over the garden, birds can be spotted rushing by with beaks full of nesting material and some are grabbing beaks full of food to offer to their prospective mates to tempt them to a new home.

I saw a coal tit in the garden for the first time in quite a while, closely followed by a second one. They flew around the garden chasing each other stopping to eat some sunflower hearts now and again then flew away over the hedge into next doors garden. They nested in there last year hopefully they are going to nest in the same place again this year.



The wren has been busy bug hunting in the log pile, I think she has built a nest close by.
I have seen her most days going in and out of the pile then flying to the corner behind the greenhouse. There were quite a few birds that have nested in the bush just over the wall in the corner in the last few years. If they do it again this year I will be in a good spot in the greenhouse when the chicks start leaving the nest, to hopefully get some great close up shots of them.








The little male squirrel is becoming braver, he saw me sitting in the greenhouse, so he edged closer and closer along the wall.




Then he decided he was too close and moved back down the wall.


He decided to have a look at me from the nutbox instead,


Then he came a little closer, 




He spotted something different in the garden,



It was another blue dish, a big blue dish, it had lots of food in it.
Little squirrel liked this dish.


The little squirrel didn't really care where I sat or how many pictures I took so long as he had plenty of hazelnuts and sunflower seeds.





Until the next time...









No comments:

Post a Comment