Monday 23 January 2017

A day without electric.


On Saturday morning we woke to discover we had no electric. That meant we couldn't even have a decent cup of coffee. We managed to have a lukewarm one from my jug I filled Friday afternoon that keeps water hot up to 8 hours.
Tony nipped downstairs to Margaret's to see if she had any power, she did not. However, Lynn at number 3 did.
Tony rang the National Power grid to ask if they knew why we had no power. The person on the phone said they were not aware of the problem but they would look into it.
Not long after a man rang back to ask a few questions then told us that somebody would be out within the next 2 hours or so to have a look.
I was so in need of a cup of tea but I wasn't going to get one.

You don't realise until you have no electric power how much you need it!
I could not use the computer, the hoover, the kettle, no heating, no food except cold, so no porridge for breakfast. I just stayed on the bed and did jigsaws on my iPad mini. At least until the battery ran out, then I couldn't do that anymore.

I decided the only thing to do then was to read. I am reading Linwood Barclay at the moment, I have just started one called "Trust Your Eyes" It is about a map-obsessed man who believes he must store the details of the city in his head, He goes on a virtual tour of the world then one day he sees a woman being murdered. When he tells his brother, his brother does not really believe him.
Linwood Barclay keeps you guessing to the last page I have already read four of his books and I have enjoyed every one so far.

Lynsey was thinking of us having no electric and went to Halfords and bought us a small gas stove. I could finally have a cup of coffee, this was at about 3 pm. I was so glad she had spent the time to go and buy it and bring it to us. At least she cares, she does love me really even if she won't let me give her a hug.
The electric was restored not long after Lynsey came I think it was about 4:15 pm. Tony began to clear up the kitchen and to prepare things for tonight's dinner.  I tidied up in the bedroom put my iPad on to charge and came into the office to use the computer. For some reason, the computer would not let me write a blog so this is going to be an extra long one.
 Yesterday afternoon I discovered a very small piece of tooth in my mouth, so small I didn't even know where it had come from. While eating my dinner, I found out! One of my teeth just suddenly crumbled all that is left is the back of it. I wouldn't mind but I only went to the dentist last week and got a clean bill of health. The dentist told me my hygiene was excellent and nothing needed doing. Huh, now I have to go back.

The garden life is thriving, the squirrels are calling everyday. There are always three or four about now because it is mating time. It amuses me to see one squirrel come down and wipe himself all over the fence, then a few minutes later another one will appear smell the fence then wipe itself all over the top to wipe out the scent of the last one. Then when the female appears it's time for a game of chase round the garden and round the tree. It makes me think of "The Benny Hill Show" and the music that played when they had the chases on there.




Squirrel has a sniff at the fence




Then he wipes himself all over the fence to scent mark.




 Has a sniff to make sure it's done right.




Then off he goes to eat some food.





Peanuts, Black sunflower seeds and suet. All his favourites.




Then he sees something he wants more...




Over on the shed windowsill, Hazelnuts...





Squirrel even liked the vegetable crisps.






This morning we called in at Mums to drop off a date and walnut loaf I had baked on Sunday for her, and to pick up a dog lead to take to Lynsey's for her cat Biscuit. Yes that's what I said her cat Biscuit.

While at Mums we attempted to take some photo's of her dog Oliver. The hard part of that is Oliver never keeps still long enough for you to catch him. Tony got better ones than I did so the following pictures are Tony's.





Oliver waiting for his ball throwing.



Oliver sitting to attention.





Please throw the ball for me.



Oliver is a very small dog but he has no trouble letting you know what he wants.


There is just one other picture I am going to put on (you will probably be glad, you must be getting bored by now).
We saw this while out driving and it amused us both.


The van itself wasn't what amused us but the right side underneath the word out...


It just made us chuckle!



Until the next time...





No comments:

Post a Comment