Friday 15 May 2015

A Turdus Merula,Carduelis Carduelis, Cyanistes Caeruleus and a Sciurus carolinensis (Or A Blackbird, Goldfinch,Blue Tit and a Grey Squirrel)

Over the last few days I have been in the shed a couple of times. The birds are busy flying back and forth with beaks full of food for the chicks that have hatched.
The Starling families are growing we can hear them above us when we are in the office, when an adult bird arrives with food the racket the chicks make is unbelievable. For something so small they sound like they are wearing pit boots up there!

I did a bit of sewing while I was in the shed. I had two "Onesies" that didn't fit me properly. So I cut them both in half, (or not exactly in half, )then I sewed the larger top of one to the larger bottom of the other and made one "Onesie "that fitted. The left over pieces  I will use for something else.

Chris sent me a text asking if Tony and I wanted to start visiting every Friday so that my grandson Logan could get a bit more use to us. At the moment he is not sure about us,
He usually goes to his mum or dad when we visit, he certainly doesn't want to sit with us.
Logan is fine as long as he can see mummy or daddy , he will smile and chatter at us but if Chris tries to sit him with us, no he doesn't want to do that.

Quick pick me up Nana's coming


I have told Chris and Joanne at the moment it will have to be fortnightly, we will see how that goes, then maybe we can think again.

Wednesday I had to go to the dentist, I had lost a filling. I really don't like  going to the dentist, however the one I see at the moment is quite nice. She knows I have a bit of a phobia and always tries to calm me down. There was no drilling involved just a little filling. She asked if I wanted my gum numbing because it was rather sore, but I was brave and said 'no let's just do it'.
I am glad I did because it didn't hurt and it boosted my confidence for next time I go.

The Blue Tits are rushing around the garden and taking all sorts of goodies into the nest box.
I hope the cats or the magpies don't manage to take the chicks this year, at least next doors cat is too old and ill to catch any.


The Blue Tits are definitely well fed.





The Blackbirds are still fighting, I couldn't catch them in the air, they seem to circle on the floor then jump up into the air scratching and clawing with their feet while pecking with their beaks. It looks really vicious.

 Then one of them lay on the ground in the above pose as if he was trying to make himself look bigger, then all of a sudden he flew at the other bird with a loud squawk and they started fighting again.


Another of my favourite birds has returned, The Goldfinch.
The clown of the garden with their painted faces and comical ways. They are a timid bird, they never seem to stay long but they are always a lovely sight when they visit.

                             







Then of course there is the scruffy Blackbird, what can I say about him? He is always around he comes to the window and takes food from the ledge, he puts his head on one side as if he is listening to me when I talk to him. He is just Scruff a very friendly Blackbird.



The squirrels are still coming. Ms Squirrel is extremely fat and lumpy. She must be ready for giving birth very soon, if she hasn't already. She still manages to come into the garden and hang upside down on the ball feeder and on the crossbar. 


This is another female squirrel that had young ones not very long ago, it is easy to see that she is feeding.


Her young ones will be in the garden very soon.

We also have 2 more young ones that appeared in the garden this morning so maybe they are the ones that belong to the squirrel above or maybe we have another family that has heard how good the food is at our garden.


Until the next time...








No comments:

Post a Comment